The requirements below outline the minimum Complying Development requirements for Granny Flats, in accordance with the State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009, and is to be used as a guide only.
The State Environmental Planning Policy (Affordable Rental Housing) 2009 encourages the development of secondary dwellings, commonly known as granny flats, by:
✓ Allowing granny flats to be approved as complying development;
✓ Allowing granny flats to be built in all residential zones;
✓ Setting clear standards for the development of granny flats
How hard is the approval process?
- It is not hard at all. The government is encouraging the construction of Granny Flats via Complying Development applications.
Do I have to do anything to get my Granny Flat approved?
- No. First Choice will help you with the entire process, including approval from start to finish.
Do I have to choose one of your designs?
- No. We can design a custom Granny Flat specific to your needs, land, and budget.
What size can I build my Granny Flat?
- The maximum size is 60 square metres excluding carports, veranda’s, outbuildings, garages etc.
How long does construction take?
- Typically 12 weeks for completion after approval, subject to weather.
Do you provide separate meters for water and electricity?
Do you offer any warranties or guarantees?
- Construction has 6 years structural warranty, 12 months maintenance period. Manufacturer warranty for appliances.